Goodwood Event Catering is the joint venture with Levy UK, which manages and operates all event catering, hospitality and bar services at Goodwood. The secret of the success of Goodwood Event Catering is the combined ambition and professionalism of all parties work as a truly ‘powerful partnership’ to deliver world class experiences at Goodwood.
Goodwood Racecourse is synonymous with effortless chic and the very highest level of thoroughbred racing. Its understated glamour is much prized amongst the cognoscenti; making Edward VII’s famous phrase ‘a garden party with racing tacked on’ still appropriate today.
There has been horseracing on the Harroway on the South Downs above Goodwood, since 1801 when the third Duke of Richmond held a private race meeting for the Sussex Militia.
That event was such a success that the following year he held Goodwood’s first public race meeting.
From those early days, ‘Glorious Goodwood’ has become a firm fixture in the English summer season, Now known as the Qatar Goodwood Festival held in July, it is undoubtedly one of the highlights of the racing calendar with five thrilling days of world-class horseracing and elegant fashion. From the excitement and anticipation on day one to the cavalry charge of the world famous Stewards’ Cup on day five – this traditional English garden party at the world’s most beautiful racecourse is the summer season’s must-attend event.
There are another 14 race days that also take place at the Racecourse during the flat season from May to October.
Nature and Scope:
A high profile specialist and prestigious opportunity, for a dynamic, senior and inspirational with experience in F&B delivery, logistics and a real ‘people person’, with rounded leadership skills and an ability to raise the bar to a world class standard.
This is a senior role within the business working closely with the Motor Sports General Manager and Operations Director to develop and deliver exceptional food and guest experience, both for specified race days and high-profile events such as the Qatar Festival. Critical to the success and reputation of the F&B offering, is the leadership and engagement of a large, well-trained team, both fixed and seasonal.
You will work closely with both Goodwood and Levy UK within a joint venture partnership to qualify requirements, then deliver the catering strategy. As such, you will continually evolve both the catering and guest experience product, such that is renowned for food and hospitality excellence as befits a world famous iconic venue. This is not a role for someone who wants to preserve the status quo, or simply copy ideas from elsewhere, but if you have the passion for food and service underpinned by evidence of delivery of fresh ideals and operational excellence then you will shine and so will the venue.
The remit of this role currently includes over £5M sales. During the Qatar Festival there is in excess of 2500 covers in hospitality on event days across restaurants and a further 20000 retail customers. There are another 14 race days that range from 8000 – 20000 customers on site. There is a fixed team of circa 16 heads, supported on event days by up to 120 chefs and 1200 front line operational team members.
Key Focus Areas
• Oversee the day to day delivery of consistent and exceptional service standards to achieve and ideally exceed department targets and grow our reputation for legendary customer service through a service lead hospitality operation
• Work closely with Goodwood Event Catering team and Goodwood stakeholders. Establish and sustain a powerful partnership and maximise the contribution of support functions to shape and drive the catering strategy, based on operational excellence and best practice.
• Regular monitoring and development of each department to ensure that food quality, presentation, staffing reviews and consistent standards are in place
• Leadership to develop and sustain a high level of team energy and engagement, proud to provide great food, hospitality and operational excellence, plus H&S and all other compliance obligations
• Coordination of product planning and delivery, from menu development to all aspects of food and drinks service, mindful of all HSE / Food Standards compliance obligations at all times.
• Innovation – Create an environment to embrace global/local trends and be continually market leading to reflect the position of Goodwood as a world class venue. Likely to be underpinned by frequent networking and research to drive innovation and product / process developments.
• Commercial performance. Consistent focus on business performance indicators, to monitor progress and make sound decisions within commercial limits without detriment to the ethos and reputation of Goodwood.
• Analysis of performance statistics to identify opportunities for growth
• Project Management of catering facility evolution, working closely with the Operations Director on the development strategy and any capital improvements plans.
• Liaison with 3rd party supplier and contractors to underpin effective service delivery.
• Share and act on client and customer feedback continually.
• Recognise and celebrate success throughout the business.
• All HR compliance in line with Levy UK policy
Requirements• Passionate about food and hospitality, with a natural flare for guest focus and quality of experience at all levels.
• Demonstrates passion and hunger for ensuring an exceptional hospitality experience, able to inspire the entire and varied team to work as one to ‘jump the curve’ and delight in delivering the best possible food and experiences. Restless in seeking to be the best of the best. Known for leading from the front with ability to critically review new project layouts and ideas, as well as proposing own ideas to develop sizing and set ups as well as the food quality and service.
• Passionate about people – enjoys communicating with the most important of clients as well as the all-important team members that deliver great service day to day.
• Track record of senior F&B delivery 2 years + experience gained from sports or major leisure venue operational contract management experience.
• Multi-site / multi venue experience, able to manage a mixed portfolio of outlets, embracing the spectrum from quality dining, to event catering to fast paced retail food delivery.
• Respected for leadership skills – confidently able to appoint, develop and inspire large high performing teams of both fixed and variable staff. Can demonstrate provision of clear and decisive direction.
• Strategic Thinker – ability to conceive and plan effective strategies and supporting tactics which embrace a variety of elements into a common goal. Sees change and continual evolution of both product and hospitality standards as the lifeblood of success.
• Excellent client and stakeholder management presence and interpersonal skills. Well versed in clarifying client and customer requirements. Excellent listening, written and verbal communication skills, including delivering concise and engaging presentations. Known for collaborative approach. Natural and engaging in dialogue with customers at all levels.
• Professional integrity – naturally commands respect and delivers on promises.
• Project management - ability to lead the implementation of change programmes to deliver operational benefits.
• Commercial agility – experince at budgeting, forecasting and effective resource deployment, with an agile eye for trends and embracing change in a cost effective way, whilst mainlining product integrity.
• Consummate professional – able to balance differing requirements for structured approach, agility and ability to flex and adapt as required. Resilient, focused on ownership and delivery.
• Dynamic and measured – good blend of ‘can do’, pace and a calm head under pressure
• Misc. - accepting of unusual attendance hours as required
• Goodwood Entertaining and Hospitality Managing Director
• Goodwood Events Food and Beverage Manager
• Goodwood Racecourse General Manager
• Director of catering for Goodwood and Green field sites (LRUK)
• LRUK Stadium Managing Director and Executive Team
• LRUK specialist support functions, incl Culinary, Sales, Business Excellence, Finance, H&S and HR
• Key clients