Kia Oval, London
Salary and Benefits
Up to £21.45 per hour
Minimum 30 hours a week
The Performance Chef role offers an exceptional and unique opportunity to create an elite catering service to a prestigious professional cricket club. The position is ideal for an experienced chef who has a passion for creating tasty dishes, with the ability to adapt recipes to match the physical demands of the professional cricketer.
It is desirable that the ideal candidate has some experience in catering for professional sports but not essential. The candidate will work closely with the performance nutritionist and will be upskilled in their nutrition knowledge to support their role. We are looking for an individual with the motivation and desire to learn more about performance nutrition whilst combining this with their exceptional culinary skills.
Primary Objective: To focus on the nutritional needs of the Clubs first team players, ensuring that food provision is carefully tailored to meet the demands of training and matches and player recovery.
• Take accountability for the food served and the environment created in the players restaurant.
• Ability to quickly build rapport with athletes and staff
• Your enthusiasm for the role should radiate to the players, using your expert knowledge to educate and influence their food choices
• Be approachable and willing to modify and create new recipes to meet individual athlete’s needs
• Must be well versed in global cuisine in order to cater for the needs of our multi-national squad.
• Show continued professional development, remaining up to date on culinary trends and literature identifying ingredients which may aid performance. Must be willing to undergo training or re-training as required.
• Ability to plan and deliver cooking sessions with the performance nutritionist for the players
• To work cooperatively alongside the performance nutritionist to develop menus based on the nutrition strategy and philosophy
• To attend fortnightly meetings with the performance nutritionist
•Lead by example and demonstrate strong communication and organisational skills to ensure all catering staff work effectively during preparation and delivery of food. Ensure food hygiene, health and safety regulations are met and correct food preparation procedures always adhered to.
•Regulate working hours and up-skilling the staff so that you can delegate responsibilities in the knowledge that all tasks will be performed efficiently, safely and to a high standard.
•Maintain a professional relationship with staff and players that is underpinned by your willingness to aid performance. Given the close interaction of many of the Departments at the cricket club, you must have an approachable attitude and shows willingness to work as part of the wider team.
· Hold relevant catering industry qualifications.
· Experience of previously delivering in high level sport
· Previous experience of catering for professional sport teams
· Strong people management skills with the ability to lead and instruct a team.
· Good communication skills and ability to build rapport with staff and athletes.
· Ability to work well under pressure and remain calm.
· Highly motivated to continually drive standards of self and the team.
· A creative flair in the kitchen and a passion for creating outstanding flavoursome dishes
· Knowledge of performance nutrition
· Passion to drive to continually develop and seek improvement.
· To adhere and communicate the Club’s brand values to stakeholders whenever the opportunity arises.
· A commitment to continuing professional development.
· To undertake regular Club safeguarding training updates (CPD) appropriate to the role
· Be comfortable with lone working.